PicasaPicasaPicasaPicasaPicasaPicasa

Wednesday 30 January 2013

My Top 10... Make-Up Essentials!

Hello and welcome to the very first post in the 'My Top 10' series!

This month I'm talking about my top ten make up essentials! Make up is something I use everyday so it was only right that I chose that as the very first one.


1) EYELINER
 Eyeliner is definitely my number one make up essential because you will never see me without any on!

Maybelline Eyeliner-Matic in Intense Black:
This is my FAVOURITE eyeliner ever! I wear eyeliner on my waterline, so whatever I use has got to be gentle enough not to scratch my eyes/skin but pigmented enough to last a looong time. And believe me this is! So far it's the only one out of the many I've tried to last more than six hours without wiping away, which, if you've worn eyeliner on your waterline, will know is near on impossible! I love this one so much because its almost gel like in consistency, super opaque, long lasting AND doesn't need to be sharpened! So basically this is the most important make up item for me!

Bourjois Liner Feutre in II Noir:
I've only recently started wearing eyeliner on my upper lash-line but after trying liquid, pencil and pen, I decided that pen was the easiest to control and use, so this is what I've been using. Its pretty good, opaque in one layer but usually needs two to even it out. The pen nib is nicely flexible and easy to control. I know that by the end of the year I'll have found new and possibly better ones though.


2) CONCEALER
Benefit Boi-ing in 04:
I CANNOT live without this stuff! Seriously, its like magic in a tub! I found it soooo hard to find a concealer that matched my skin colour and after ages I discovered this! I've only been using it for a short time but i'm already in love. It hides EVERYTHING and lasts a long time too! The colour is PERFECT for me and its sooo smooth and creamy and a dream to apply. I love the fact that its in a little tub too because I can just throw it in my bag and know it will fit. Best of all, it doesn't look cakey or even look like its on, it literally hides all my flaws and looks invisible at the same time.


3) LIPSTAIN
Topshop Lip Marker in Get Lippy:
Lipstain is something I discovered by accident. I bought the Body Shop one by mistake when I was in a rush and was meant to be getting a lipgloss that looked virtually the same and since I first used it, I haven't looked back since! I've tried a few brands now and the Topshop ones are my favourite because they are the easiest to use, especially when you don't have a mirror, and last quite a long time. Its like the inbetweeny product of a lipstick and balm in terms of colour and truthfully probably my most used lip product.

4) PRIMER
Benefit The Porefessional:
I was given this as a sample when I walked past the Benefit counter while on holiday and since the day I tried it out, I have used it ever since! Because I have combination skin I need something that can stop my skin looking oily without drying it out and this does just that. It's supposed to also minimize pores but since mine aren't that big I can't tell if it does or not. It also gives a lovely 'blurred' look to help hide imperfections.

5) FOUNDATION
Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow in Amber:
I'm not much of a foundation wearer and even less so of liquid foundation but when I need to, this is my go-to foundation because its light to medium coverage means it looks natural but still does its job.

The Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals in Natural Beige:
Powder is my preferred choice of foundation because I can sweep it on and not worry about it showing up or having tide marks. Also, I can 'build' it up to the level of coverage I want.

6) LIP BALM
Sleek Pout Polish in Pink Cadillac:
Lip balm is the one beauty product I've used from ever since I can remember. My mum always made me put vaseline on and so I'd always go for the one that had a hint of colour. Since then the whole ritual has stuck and so at the moment this is the one I'm loving. Technically its not actually a balm but oh well, thats what I call it. Out of all the Pout Polishes this is one of the few that has a gentle flush of colour, the others are quite strong and bold. It is a pretty transparent pink that actually last pretty well. They are also all gently glossy and not sticky.

7) LIPSTICK
Revlon Colourstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Top Tomato:
Remember the days when you'd try on your mum's lipstick? Well, no I don't actually because she hardly ever wore/wears make up. But anyway lipstick is something I still think I'm a bit young for and so rarely wear it. I only really like them because of the fact that they are super pigmented and normally have a colour payoff unmatched by a stain or gloss. Which is why I love the liquid lipsticks! They are the consistency of a dense gloss but "set" like a lipstick with the same rich colour. Top Tomato is a darker classic red with subtle sparkly red glitter mixed in.

8) MASCARA
The Body Shop Divide and Multiply Mascara in 01:
This is my most used mascara and definitely one of the best I've used. I'm not a fan of huge lashes, I prefer long but defined ones and that is why I love this mascara! It lengthens (the 'multiply' part) and separates (the 'divide' part) and matches my lash colour perfectly. It also lasts a reaaallly long time!

Natural Collection LashCurl Mascara in Brown/Black:
I don't really wear this much anymore but I used to wear it a lot in the past because it was very natural looking but made my oh so very straight lashes have a bit of curl to them. I still wear it when I can't be bothered to curl my lashes but less so than the Body Shop one mentioned above.

Avon Dazzling Diva Mascara in Black:
This is going to be short because this mascara is not my "go-to" one but I like I nonetheless because it was a gift from my avon distributor for my birthday because it had the same name as me! Its a standard black mascara with micro gold glitter mixed in.

9) LIPGLOSS
Rimmel London Stay Glossy in Plum Rocks:
I love this lipgloss!! I went through a bit of a gothic phase and I just NEEDED a dark purple lipgloss. After searching high and low I found this and oh my, it was a bit of a hallelujah moment! Its super smooth, applies beautifully, is really pigmented and lasts ages! Oh and did I mention the wand is amazing! It is a dark plum coloured gloss with micro sparkles shot through it. Layered on its own it gives a wash of colour but layerd over a different colour makes the base turn very vampy. I could go on and on about this lipgloss...

Jemma Kidd Make Up School Lipgloss:
This used to be my go-to lipgloss until I found out it was no longer available anywhere, which is when I began using it sparingly. Its got a lovely passion fruity flavour and gives a super glossy sheer pink shine. Mine has become a bit sticky but it never used to be, I think its just because its a tad old, haha.

10) BLUSHER
Bourjois Blush in Lilas D'or:
Blusher is one of those things I rarely wear. Its because my skin doesn't naturally blush and so it looks a bit silly on me. The only time it will look decent is if it is very very subtle, meaning bright colours are a no-no. Thats why I like this Bourjois blush. On my skin it gives a very sheer pinky glow with micro sparkles added in. I love the fact that it comes with its own brush because its ideal for on the go, but I hate the fact that after a while the top 'layer' hardens and requires some scraping before you can get some product on the brush.

2true True Colour Blusher in Shade 1:
When I need a less sparkly and obvious blush I use this one, because its basically a warmer non-sparkly version of the one above. I often find that too much product transfers to the brush though so it requires some shaking off before applying.


Anything else? Well yes actually. You probably noticed that I didn't include nail polish, and thats because I don't consider it to be make up. Besides that, I think i've included all the make up that I regularly use/like a lot.

So what do you think? And what are your make up essentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...